The 2016 Houston Walk to End Alzheimer’s is this Saturday, November 5th and we can’t wait to see you!
Here are some event details to help you get there and enjoy this inspirational event.
Parking Information: Walkers can utilize several parking options on campus. Free parking is available in surface lots 20A and 20C. Both lots are a short one block walk down University Drive to Lynn Eusan Park.
- Lot 20A – Located on Calhoun across from the Leroy and Lucille Melcher Hall.
- Lot 20C – Located on University Drive across from the Recreation and Wellness Center.
Garage options are also available for a $5 CASH ONLY charge per vehicle in the Welcome Center Garage and the East Parking Garage.
- The Welcome Center Garage located at 4434 University Drive, Houston, Texas 77204, can be accessed through the STUDENT ENTRANCE located on the Calhoun Road. This is the closest parking option to the walk.
- Walkers can also utilize the East Parking Garage, located at 4733 Calhoun Road, please use the STUDENT ENTRANCE that is accessible on both the Spur 5 Feeder Road or through surface lots 20A off University Drive.
*Please be prepared that exiting parking garages after a large event may take longer than expected.
Timeline of Events: Registration 7:30 AM, Ceremony 9:00 AM, Walk 9:30 AM
Walk Route: The route is a 5K (3.1 miles) within the University of Houston campus. The route is stroller, wagon and wheelchair accessible. However, please watch for stairs and uneven pavement.
Pets: The Walk is dog on a leash friendly!
- Turn in or make a Walk to End Alzheimer’s donation (cash,check or credit card) – wondering where the money goes?
- Pick up promise garden wristbands. The wristband allows participants to receive a Promise Garden Flower, used in the ceremony.
- Pick up t-shirt tickets, if you’ve earned them. For every $100 raised by your team collectively, you’ll receive a t-shirt (no more than the number of team members). If you have individually fundraised $100 or more you are eligible to receive one Walk shirt.
Online Registration closes at Noon on Friday, 11/4, however donations can still be made. Participants may register at the Walk if they miss Friday’s cut-off.
Champions Tent: If you’ve raised $500 or more individually, join us at the Champions Tent for a hot breakfast and goodies!
Memory Wall: Don’t forget to bring a picture of your loved one to hang on our Memory Walk. Pictures can be picked up after the Walk.
Permitted Items: Participants are encouraged to bring lawn chairs, blankets, frisbees, balls, strollers, wagons, snacks/food and coolers.
Prohibited Items: Teams and participants are not allowed to bring their own tent. Teams that raise $10,000 or more will be awarded a tent. For everyone’s safety, bicycles, inline skates, wheelie footwear, skateboards and scooters are not allowed.
Weather: We Walk rain or shine! Any important updates will be shared on our Facebook page, facebook.com/alztex.
Congratulations to our current leaders
Top fundraisers as of today, November 3rd, 2016
1) Carolynn Alexander
2) Don Baird
3) Gary Karter
Top teams as of today, November 3rd, 2016
1) Texas Capital Bank
2) Belmont Village Senior Living
3) Baylor Memory Walkers
Road Closures: Please be aware of the following road closures, listed below.
I-10 East ramp to I-45 South
Detour by continuing on I-10 E to the 59S exit. Take 59S to IH-45S exit.
I-10 West ramp to I-45 South
Detour by exiting for I-45 North, exit N. Main. Turn left on N. Main and left again onto I-45 Southbound Frontage Road. Enter I-45 S and exit immediately to IH 10 Eastbound; Follow IH 10 Eastbound to US 59 Southbound; Follow US 59 Southbound to I-45. Please note: alternate lanes of I-45 S from Main to I-10 will be closed throughout the weekend.
I-45 North from 59 to Allen Parkway
Detour via the direct connectors to either US 59 Northbound or US 59 SB/SH 288 SB; For the US 59 Northbound Detour follow US 59 Northbound to IH 10 Westbound; Follow IH 10 Westbound to I-45 Northbound, For the US 59 Southbound/SH 288 Southbound detour follow US 59 Southbound to IH 610 West Loop Northbound; Follow the IH 610 W. Loop Northbound to the IH 610 North Loop (Eastbound); Follow the IH 610 N. Loop Eastbound to I-45 Northbound.
288 North ramp to IH-45 North
288 North traffic outside Loop 610 will detour by going east on 610 S and around to I-45 North. 288 North traffic between 610 and 59 is encouraged to detour via US 59 Northbound to IH 10 Westbound; Follow IH 10 Westbound to I-45 Northbound.
Dallas St. also will be closed at I-45
For a complete list of closures, visit Houston TranStar.
Thank you again for signing up for Walk to End Alzheimer’s. We look forward to walking with you on Saturday!