Thursday, January 18th
First session of Learning Together Spring Series
REGISTRATION IS OPEN for Learning Together, an 8-session series designed for those experiencing early memory loss and a care partner or friend.
Experts in the field present topics such as legal and financial planning, medical and research information, and managing changes.
A recent participant stated, “The information was coherent, vital to understanding of dementia, and presented in a compassionate, but realistic manner.”
RSVP is required
For more information, please contact the Early Stage Department at email@example.com or call our helpline at 800-272-3900.
Early Stage Alzheimer’s & Dementia Learning Together Facts
The Learning Together (LT) program in Houston, TX, provides a supportive environment in which individuals diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer???s disease or a related dementia and their care partner, family or friend, can learn to live well with early memory loss. LT is based on the idea that with professional education guidance and peer support, adults in a group can benefit from others with similar experiences. Participants receive not only emotional support, but also advice and information from fellow members and facilitators.
Benefits to Participants
- Receiving information about early-memory loss, communication techniques, driving, and more
- Opportunity to ask a professional
- Meeting families who are going through similar situations
- Receiving guidance from a licensed clinical social worker
LT is an 8-session series designed for both the diagnosed individual and his or her care partner or friend.
- Experts in the field present topics such as legal and financial planning, medical and research information, and managing changes after a dementia diagnosis.
- Meetings consist of time to obtain information and share current experiences.
LT is structured into three parts:
- A 1 hour presentation followed by discussion, questions, reflection and support.
- Individuals and their care partners meet separately for the last 30 minutes of the session.
- After attending the 8 session LT series, participants are then eligible to join the Discovering Connections group, a creative activity series.
To be considered for participation, prospective members should:
- Have a diagnosis of early stage dementia or related disorder
- Acknowledge they have memory loss
- Be able to sit in a group for an hour
- Be able to initiate discussion in a group
Comments about Learning Together
Feedback from both diagnosed individuals and their care partners has demonstrated that group participation helps significantly with handling changes, preparing for the future, and making it easier to talk about their concerns.
Feedback from Diagnosed Individuals:
- ???This series was very, very helpful. I feel a lot more comfortable with my Alzheimer???s.???
- ???I had absolutely no knowledge of, nor experience with Alzheimer???s prior to attending these meetings. This experience was certainly worthwhile.???
Feedback from Care Partners:
???It provides a safe, secure place to share, cry, laugh and learn. It???s wonderfully supportive.???
- ???It provides a safe, secure place to share, cry, laugh and learn. It???s wonderfully supportive.???
- “I would not have missed this group for anything ??? not only the emotional support but also all of the information on how to handle current and future problems.???
- “The information was coherent, vital to understanding of dementia, and presented in a compassionate, but realistic manner.”