The MIND Diet
Recent studies have shown that the brain-healthy MIND diet can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease by up to 53%. Developed by Dr. Martha Clare Morris at Rush University Medical Center, MIND stands for “Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay”. The MIND diet takes the Mediterranean diet as well as the DASH diet and creates an eating plan that has a significant impact in preventing Alzheimer’s disease. It emphasizes eating from 10 brain-healthy food groups, and avoiding eating from 5 unhealthy food groups.
Our Discovering Connections group (an early-stage engagement program at the Alzheimer’s Association Houston & Southeast Chapter) created a cookbook consisting of easy to follow recipes that they enjoyed in their personal lives. This activity provided individuals with early-stage Alzheimer’s who experience early memory loss with a greater sense of independence with meal preparation. One of our early stage members, Lee, shared funny stories about the differences between him and his brother during the weekends they spent together. Lee would prepare breakfast tacos and fresh coffee for breakfast and the next morning, his brother served him a cold bowl of cereal and coffee stating, “That was breakfast”. The following recipe is inspired by Lee’s food memory from the cookbook:
This healthy Blue Corn Tortilla Breakfast Taco With Smoked Salmon is an incredible way to start your morning!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 eggs + 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, smashed
- 4 oz. thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 4 blue corn tortilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Place avocado in a medium bowl and mash with a fork, add lemon juice and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Next melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally until large curds begin to form. When eggs look barely set, remove from heat immediately. Season with salt and pepper.
- Warm your tortillas in the microwave or over a gas stove on low heat so the edges become slightly golden brown and crispy.
- Spread mashed avocado over each blue corn tortilla. Spoon eggs over avocado and add salmon over the eggs, top each with a bit of fresh cilantro and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with salsa. Enjoy!
Other Recipes to Try
- Mediterranean Breakfast Tostadas
- Chicken and Veggie Taquitos
- Breakfast Taco Shells with Spinach
- Mediterranean Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito
Check out our Pinterest Board for other MIND Diet Breakfast ideas!