The MIND Diet
Recent studies have shown that the brain-healthy??MIND diet??can reduce the risk of Alzheimer???s Disease by up to 53%. Developed by Dr. Martha Clare Morris at Rush University Medical Center,??MIND stands for ???Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay???. The MIND diet takes the Mediterranean diet as well as the DASH diet and creates an eating plan that has a significant impact in preventing Alzheimer???s disease. It emphasizes eating from 10 brain-healthy food groups, and avoiding eating from 5 unhealthy food groups.
Our Discovering Connections group (an early-stage engagement program at the Alzheimer’s Association Houston & Southeast Chapter) created a cookbook consisting of easy to follow recipes that they enjoyed in their personal lives. This activity provided individuals with early-stage Alzheimer’s who experience early memory loss with a greater sense of independence with meal preparation. One of our early stage members, Joyce, shared how she loves to make blueberry pies. She laughed about the time she made a beautiful pie but the pan was not strong enough causing it all to fall on the floor. The following recipe is inspired by Joyce’s food memories from the cookbook:
This??Blueberry Tart with a Pie Crust??will satisfy all of your sweet tooth cravings!
Walnut Almond Crust
- 1 cup walnuts
- 6 tbsp almond meal
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg white
- Vanilla extract, 2-3 drops
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
Walnut Almond Crust
- Pour all the ingredient onto a food processor and mix until it forms a ball.
- Roll between plastic wraps.
- Transfer the dough onto greased pie mold.
- Mix the frozen blueberries and chia seeds.
- Add the frozen blueberries mixture into the mold.
- Design a cross on the top of the pie using the left over of dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 C or until the border of the crust is brownish and the blueberries are forming a jam-like texture.
Other Recipes to Try
- Toasted Coconut and Blueberry Tart
- Greek Yogurt Fruit Tart
- Pumpkin Tarts with Chai Hazelnut Crust
- Almond Cherry Crumble
Check out our Pinterest to see other MIND Diet Desserts!