The MIND Diet
Recent studies have shown that the brain-healthy MIND diet can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease by up to 53%. Developed by Dr. Martha Clare Morris at Rush University Medical Center, MIND stands for “Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay”. The MIND diet takes the Mediterranean diet as well as the DASH diet and creates an eating plan that has a significant impact in preventing Alzheimer’s disease. It emphasizes eating from 10 brain-healthy food groups, and avoiding eating from 5 unhealthy food groups.
Our Discovering Connections group (an early-stage engagement program at the Alzheimer’s Association Houston & Southeast Chapter) created a cookbook consisting of easy to follow recipes that they enjoyed in their personal lives. This activity provided individuals with early-stage Alzheimer’s who experience early memory loss with a greater sense of independence with meal preparation. One of our early-stage members, Al, spoke about how his dad had a garden filled with fresh, organic vegetables such as corn, black eyed peas, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, and squash. He remembers the abundance of vegetables they had and how much he enjoyed all of the meals they were able to have with the fresh, home grown ingredients. The following recipe is inspired by Al’s food memory from the cookbook:
This Cowboy Caviar is packed with colorful, healthy, and fresh ingredients!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup of sugar (add in by tbsp to taste if you want less sugar)
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 1/2 cup radishes
- 1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (from 1 bunch)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, apple cider, chili powder, and sea salt.
- Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas, corn, green onion, radishes, and bell peppers. Stir to combine.
- Stir in cilantro. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight to blend flavors. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Other Recipes to Try
Check out our Pinterest Board for other MIND Diet Appetizers and Sides!