The MIND Diet
Recent studies have shown that the brain-healthy MIND diet can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease by up to 53%. Developed by Dr. Martha Clare Morris at Rush University Medical Center, MIND stands for “Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay”. The MIND diet takes the Mediterranean diet as well as the DASH diet and creates an eating plan that has a significant impact in preventing Alzheimer’s disease. It emphasizes eating from 10 brain-healthy food groups, and avoiding eating from 5 unhealthy food groups.
Our Discovering Connections group (an early-stage engagement program at the Alzheimer’s Association Houston & Southeast Chapter) created a cookbook consisting of easy to follow recipes that they enjoyed in their personal lives. This activity provided individuals with early-stage Alzheimer’s who experience early memory loss with a greater sense of independence with meal preparation. One of our early-stage members, Hank, raved about how much he loves his wife’s cooking, in particular her vegetable soup. The following recipe is inspired by Hank’s food memory from the cookbook:
This Ultimate Vegetable Soup is packed with warm, delicious, colorful, and nutrition packed ingredients!
Servings: About 8
- 1 onion
- 3 gloves garlic
- 2-3 carrots
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans (frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups peas (frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can lima beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fresh)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt to taste
- Prep veggies: mince garlic and dice onion, carrots, celery, and zucchini. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into small bite-sized pieces.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, saute onion, carrots and celery for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and all remaining ingredients. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are desired tenderness.
- Salt to taste.
Other Recipes to Try
- Mediterranean Spicy Spinach Lentil Soup
- Nutritious Minestrone
- Italian Vegetable and Pasta Soup
- Mediterranean Kale, Cannellini, and Farro Stew
Check out our Pinterest Board for other MIND Diet Soups!