Walk to End Alzheimer’s is our chapter’s top awareness and fundraising event for ending Alzheimer’s disease. In 2012, more than 10,000 people participated in our 13 walks and over $1.1 million was raised to help?????reclaim the future for millions. As walk season draws near, here are a few helpful tips to jump start your fundraising!
Don’s Do’s and Don’ts?????
We asked Don Baird, our top individual fundraiser for the Houston walk how he has raised thousands of dollars over the past few years.
1. Ask everyone that you know (close and distant) for any amount of money that they feel that they can give. ?????This results in a large number (hopefully) of small gifts.????? To make this successful you need to approach 100??????s of people.
2. Select a smaller number of people that you know have the ability to pledge a larger amount and give a bottom level dollar suggested gift such as $100.00.
3. After verbally asking for donations, make a personal email donation request. Knowing the reason behind your dedication can help the process along.
4. Keep the email short and to the point.????? No more than two paragraphs of no more than three sentences each.
5. Ask for a specific amount.????? I stated;????? ??????Please pledge $100.00 or more to the Memory Walk??????
6. Once you send out the initial email, follow-up with a second to those who do not respond within 5 to 10 days.
7. When some one pledges send a ??????thank you ?????? email immediately
8. Send out one last reminder 3 to 5 days prior to the event to those who have not yet responded.????? Remind them that the walk is very close and they only have 3 days to get their pledge in.
9. After the event send an email thanking everyone for their support and inviting them to walk again.
10. Don’t get discouraged, keep pushing through. The fight will be worth it!
Promotion can get you in Motion!
Looking for ways to get your message out there about the Walk, but can??????t seem to find the perfect materials to share with family and friends to market the event?
By ordering Walk materials from the Alzheimer??????s Association, Houston & Southeast Texas Chapter, you can sell fun items that raise awareness for the disease and apply the money toward your Walk fundraising! Available items include: customizable Walk posters (pictured), balloons, and forget-me-nots to use for your next fundraiser; along with a number of other promotional items.
Click here?????to access the Walk Material Order Form!
An event is a great way to have fun and raise money for a great cause. Whether you hold a car wash, bake sale, or wine tasting, there is no wrong way to reach your fundraising goal! ?????Over the years, many teams and individuals have hosted amazing events.
Any team or individual can hold an event. Local restaurants have fundraising programs you can use to boost your fundraising.
- Restaurants participating in?????GroupRaise?????will donate a percentage of the sales during your event time to your cause.
- Other restaurants also have fundraising programs. Ask your local Applebee??????s, Ben & Jerry??????s, BJ??????s Restaurant and Brewhouse, ChickFilA, Cici??????s, Dickey??????s BBQ, Outback Steakhouse, or TGI Fridays to host an Alzheimer??????s night to raise funds towards your Walk goal.
If you need assistance with event ideas or execution, please contact Rasheeda Daugherty email@example.com!